This Chicken & Black Bean Casserole was a pleasant surprise, it was not only delicious but super simple to put together. And the truth is, it took all my strength not to eat it right out of the casserole dish before setting it on the table.
The leftovers from this chicken and black bean casserole are perfect a filling for soft chicken tacos… which we made the next day.
Try some fresh salsa on top, it ties in perfectly with this casserole.
To Make Chicken & Black Bean Casserole You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Skinless and boneless chicken breasts ~ cut in strips
- Chili powder
- Pepper or a few grinds
- Quick-cooking brown rice~ see note for regular brown rice.
- Chicken broth ~ Fody Chicken or Vegetable Soup Base if needed
- Black beans drained and rinsed
- Diced green chiles
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic powder ~ Low FODMAP Garlic Replacer if needed
- Onion powder ~ Low FODMAP Onion Replacer if needed
- Dried oregano
- Cheddar cheese or Mexican blend ~ leave out for dairy and yeast free diets
- Optional sliced olives
Check out great tips on cooking rice from the Minimalist Baker
- If you prefer to use regular brown rice instead of quick-cooking omit the chicken broth from the recipe and cook 1 cup of regular brown rice in 2 cups of chicken broth. This will add about 40 minutes to your meal prep.
- If you have leftover rice from another day you could use that as well but the flavor is best if the rice has been cooked in broth.
You might want to try Easy Beefy Bake, another favorite recipe of ours.
Chicken & Black Bean Casserole
- 1 lb. skinless and boneless chicken breasts ~ cut in strips
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp pepper or a few grinds
- 1 cup quick-cooking brown rice uncooked ~ see note for regular brown rice.
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth ~ Low FOMAP if needed
- 1- 15 oz can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1- 4 oz can of diced green chiles
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder ~ Low FODMAP if needed
- 1/4 tsp onion powder ~ Low FODMAP if needed
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 oz grated cheddar cheese or Mexican blend ~ leave out for dairy and yeast free diets
- optional sliced olives
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare a 9″ x13″ baking pan or large casserole dish with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Place strips of chicken in prepared pan and sprinkle salt, pepper and chili powder over all. Bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Cook rice in chicken broth following the cooking time on the package. When the rice is done mix in the drained and rinsed black beans, diced chiles and remaining spices. If there are any drippings from the chicken add that as well. Mix all together and spread evenly over the baked chicken. Top with grated cheese and optional sliced olives and return the casserole to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Dish some up and enjoy!
This recipe idea is from the cookbook Quick & Healthy by Brenda J. Ponichtera