Big Chip ~ Little Chip GF Chocolate Chip Cookies are my new bakery-style allergy-friendly cookies. I should warn you though; after that first bite, it will be hard to stop eating them!
You just never know until you try. I’m talking about if a recipe is going to “work out” or “be normal” with gluten-free ingredients. But I’m glad to say this one did. And it’s so darn hard not to eat them all!
I needed to make some cookies for a little boy who can’t have gluten or dairy. Easy enough right? Not always, but these turned out great! I couldn’t wait to share them.
Since I can’t have eggs I also made this recipe with aquafaba and you can’t even tell the difference. People had to ask which cookies had the eggs, which means these are perfect for vegan chocolate chip cookie fans too.
I like my chocolate chip cookies with extra chocolate chips, so these gluten-free chocolate chip cookies had to be loaded with chocolate chips too; and as always I used allergy-friendly Enjoy Life Brand of chocolate chips.
While still on the subject of chips, I decided to add both mini chocolate chips and regular size chips. Thus the name; Big Chip ~ Little Chip GF Chocolate Chip Cookies.
I have noticed in my gluten-free baking that certain brands of flour blends make a difference in the final product. For these cookies I felt like King Arthur Gluten-Free Measure For Measure Flour was the best choice. I would love to know if you find one that works great too!!
To Make Big Chip ~ Little Chip GF Chocolate Chip Cookies You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Butter or a dairy-free substitute
- Sugar ~ I’ve used both regular and beet sugar
- Dark or light brown sugar
- Pure vanilla extract
- Eggs or an egg substitute like aquafaba
- Baking soda
- Gluten-free baking blend with xanthan gum or guar gum (guar gum for Low FODMAP) I used King Arthur Gluten-Free Measure For Measure
- Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips ~ I used Enjoy Life
- Regular sized semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips ~ I used Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips
- Chopped walnuts ~ optional (omit for nut-free)
These cookies are freezer friendly and fantastic frozen too!
If you decide you like gooey, fall apart cookies try these, Gluten-free chocolate chip cookies.
Big Chip ~ Little Chip GF Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 Cup Butter or dairy-free butter substitute ~ for best results I would use a butter-flavored product like Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar ~ dark or light brown sugar~ lightly packed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 lg eggs or 6 Tbsp aquafaba ~ liquid drained from canned garbanzo beans slightly whipped or use 2 eggs if not vegan
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 3/4 cup gluten-free flour blend with xanthan gum or guar gum. I used King Arthur Gluten-Free Measure For Measure Flour.
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips ~ I used Enjoy Life Allergy Friendly Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Enjoy Life Allergy-Friendly Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 – 1 cup chopped walnuts or other chopped nuts *optional ~ omit for nut-free
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- In a large mixing bowl add butter and sugars; mix well. This should be smooth and creamy.
- Add vanilla and eggs or aquafaba; mix well.
- Add salt, baking soda, and 1 cup of the gluten-free flour. Stir with a wooden spoon or mixer on the lowest speed until just combined.
- Add the remaining gluten-free flour. Stir to combine or use the lowest setting of your mixer.
- Stir in all chocolate chips. Nuts too if you decide to add them.
- Once the dough is completely mixed…have a taste!!! It’s good and no raw egg to worry about.
- Place medium scoop size mounds of dough or about 1 1/2 tbsp. on prepared cookie sheets.
- Slightly press down and bake for 14-15 minutes. Check after 12-13 minutes to test your own oven. I haven’t met two the same yet!!
- Let cookies set a couple of minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.