I’ve had cacao nibs in my cupboard for a while, and after tasting them, I wasn’t entirely sure how I would use them. This was my first time using cacao nibs in a recipe.
Cacao nibs are considered relatively healthy. I can share with you that they are very high in antioxidants and easy for our bodies to assimilate. They also contain magnesium. They are bitter for sure when eaten alone, but mixed in these cookies and my energy bites, there is no bitterness, and they add a wonderful extra crunch. I am happy I tried them!
For those counting weight watcher points, count each cookie as 2.6 points or round up to 3.
To Make Anytime Cookies with Cacao Nibs & Less Sugar, You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Nut butter, any flavor (the original recipe uses almond, I used sunflower seed butter)
- Sugar, any granulated type. I used coconut sugar
- Ground flaxseeds
- Pure vanilla extract
- Rolled oats (old fashioned) I used gluten-free
- Baking soda
- Sorghum flour (or any other healthy type)
- Mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life brand)
- Cacao nibs
Unless you are eating them all in one day…I suggest storing them in the freezer.
Anytime Cookies with Cacao Nibs & Less Sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup nut butter ~ any flavor (original recipe uses almond, I used sunflower seed butter)
- 3/4 cup sugar ~ any granulated type. I used coconut sugar.
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats ~ I used gluten-free.
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour ~ or any other healthy type
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips ~ I used Enjoy Life brand
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs ~ I used raw organic
- Preheat oven to 350. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- In a large mixing bowl add applesauce, nut butter, sugar, flaxseeds, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add oats, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Stir in sorghum flour, or whatever flour you choose.
- Stir in chocolate chips and cacao nibs.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 Tbsp of dough onto baking sheets. Place about 2 inches apart. Slightly flatten cookies.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Longer for a crunchier cookie. Remove from the oven and let sit about 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
- Unless you are eating them all in one day…I suggest storing them in the freezer.
I love this recipe, but I did make some changes.